Tuesday, September 9, 2008

An Angel, a Saint, and a Priest…



No this is not the first line of a bar joke! But it is the theme for my post. Oh, and a Miracle too. The miracle is: I’m alive!

No posts for over a month! What’s up with that you ask? Well, that brings us to the first appearance by the Angel.

Our home was visited by the dark Angel of the FLU. Much crueler than his cousin, the Angel of Death, the Angel of FLU doesn’t actually kill you…but you wish it would. That would be a better fate than non stop throwing up. (or at least it seems like it at the time.)

And unlike the Angel of Death who strikes the firstborn, the Flu Angel pays no heed to birth order and even struck me, the lowly neglected middle child. Woo Hoo! Middle kids rule! And now for the Saint:
A moment of reverent silence for Jan Brady, patron saint of middle children across the globe. Amen.

My husband, the baby of his family, lived up to his birthright and was a complete baby when it was his turn. My oldest daughter got it first, which seems fitting. Those trailblazing firstborn!

So what to do when one’s home is ravaged for weeks with the flu? Why watch TV of course! With so much tv time I became hooked on the HBO series, Carnivale. I ordered it through Netflix and impatiently waited by the mailbox each day for the next disc.

Warning: This show is not for the faint of heart. It has a supernatural creepy element to it and one of the freakiest villains ever… Brother Justin!

Did you notice he’s a priest? See, I keep my word!


Carnivale is about a traveling carnival set in the depression era. It is visually stunning for those kindred spirits who like retro clothing and the carnival/circus theme.


And guess what? My niece Josie, who used to take circus classes, met the girls who play the acrobatic Siamese twins. (Look for them in their adorable vintage pink top and brown ruffled shorts in the opening credits.) And guess what else? They knew her name! Josie knows this because one day while at a circus festival in Montreal they walked by and said “Hi Josie”. (The preceding facts have been unverified, but are simply reported as told by Josie.) And in good conscience I cannot get you started on this series without letting you know up front that the show was canceled. It does not end wrapping things up and I about died! Apparently many others felt the same way because there are on line petitions and entire sites dedicated to bringing back Carnivale. It was canceled a while back however, so don’t hold your breath.

So now that my home is back to health, my girls are back in school, and my orders are almost caught up, I pledge to never again go a month without posting to my blog! I swear on Jan Brady. (Amen.)

6 comments:

Amber Dawn Inventive Soul said...

I am glad to hear that you are well!

:o)

A few months back, I found a picture online of one of my music boxes that I had collected and altered- that I told you about.
I posted it back in 2003 I think.
Anyway, If you'd like, I can post it to my blog, or you can join the yahoo group to view it.
It is such a simple little thing, but right up your alley!
It is a glass front, circus tent box, with little clown acrobats that spin around tumbling as the music box plays.
I added it to a mini set of drawers and added rhinestones, beads, and crystals...

Jamie Noel said...

Amber,

I must see this! Post it on your blog! (If you already did, sorry. I haven't been over today.)

Amber Dawn Inventive Soul said...

Jamie!
I WILL post it!
BTW, the diary / journal is ready to order!
The one with the page I made for you!
The order info is on my blog.
I am willing to do a group order for all of us to save on shipping.
And since I will be sending you something for the holidays ANYWAY all you have to do is pay for the diary itself.
Not the shipping.
Or just pay for the disk- whatever you choose!
OK, I am off to go and copy/paste the picture from the group- and then I will eventually post my Enesco animated music boxes... unless I can find them on youtube or something, Then I will just show you links!
:o)
Amber

Brenda said...

You poor thing! So glad you are doing better, as well as the family. Now, please show us more awesome pics of your too cool for words work!

landofnodstudios said...

Don't ya just love it when the young ins share, mine is always willing to pass on her unwanted cooties.
I watched Carnaval faithfully when it aired the first time around and had to go into rehab when it suddenly vanished from the face of the earth. No one asked me if it was okay to pull the plug, I'm still miffed about that one. I had a secret crush on Nick Stall the main man oh he is so grungly pretty, MMM MMM Good!!!

I love it here I stumbled on your etsy shop and thought I would hop over to take a gander at you blog glad I did.
TA TA Deborah

Lex said...

some of my friends were HOOKED on this show... must add to netflix!

i still tell people to watch dead like me even though it was cancelled.