Wednesday, October 8, 2008

A Birthday For Frances

My daughter, Taylor, was just invited to a birthday sleepover for a new girl in her class named....Frances! How adorable is that?! And why didn't I think of that name?

Do you remember the children's books about the little badger named Frances who always made up funny songs?
They were my favorite books when I was little and I have proof!

Okay, now pick yourself up off the floor and stop laughing. (You guys are so rude!) Yes, I was a card carrying, bonefied, Grade A, Number One Nerd as a child. (Thank goodness I outgrew it...)
This photo is me at the library after they ran an essay contest called "Libraries Are..." The winning essay was printed on to t shirts and they were sold to raise money for the library.

I practically lived at the library so they naturally used me for a photo advertising the t shirts. (Who can we use for this stupid ad for the library shirts? Hey, there's that little blond girl who doesn't seem to have a home, grab her!)

They had me put on a library t shirt and told me to hold my favorite books. You can't actually tell in the photo, but I am holding all the Frances books!

A brief note about the authenticity of my nerdom:
I actually was not naturally as nerdy as I appear in the photo. I had to ad artificial nerd enhancements. I had forgotten about this little detail until my husband saw this photo yesterday and asked "Why are you wearing glasses in that picture? You don't wear glasses."
He,of course, was not surprised in the least when I explained that I wanted glasses so badly in the third grade (no idea why) that I faked a bad eye test to get them. Direct Husband Quote: "So you were already using your 'I Love Lucy' style plots and tactics at eight years old?" (No comment.)

This childhood among books led to my career as a children's librarian for the last six years. (Before I started my jewelry business.)

Okay, I forgave the first round of laughing at the library photo, but this is just too much. Can you people please try to restrain yourselves for the sake of my fragile self esteem?!

Ahem. As I was saying...Yes, I was a librarian. ( I'm warning you, don't even snicker or this post is over!) Granted I was messy, loud, disorganized, scatterbrained, constantly laughing, never stern, and pretty much hopeless, but I was a librarian none the less. My kids did not learn much about the Dewey Decimal System, but through invented games, ridiculous skits, super involved and complex crafts, rambunctious scavenger hunts, fun prizes, delicious snacks, ...oh yes, and reading,... I did instill in them a passion for books.

I do miss the kids and my co workers, but I'm not so sure they were sorry to see me go. At least I don't think they miss my heaped trash pile of a desk and loud laugh echoing throughout the hallways at the most inappropriate times.

(How was I supposed to know there was an anti drug rally with moving testimonial going on in the gym? What? Well, no one told me the principal had a suspended student and his family meeting with him in his office! Come on now, if you can't whisper a racy joke to a fellow staff member to lighten tension during a long boring board meeting then really, what is the point of even being here?)

Yes, jewelry design was a wise career choice for me. And speaking of jewelry design...

I just had to make a Frances necklace for Frances. I think it turned out pretty cute. Not my usual themes or colors but still very much in my style.



And also very much in my 'style' is the fact that I have no clue if Frances, the girl, even knows who Frances, the adorable children's book badger, is.

I mean, seriously, is this birthday and necklace even really about her?



Dang paparazzi! I told them no more photos of me and my svelte body in my fishnets... I look like a seventeen year old again!

(Hope the above 'model' is at least 18, don't want to be pressed with charges for exploiting a minor!)

18 comments:

esque said...

I love your nerdy librarian ad photo! So awesome! Besides, nerdy is cool again!

Amber Dawn Inventive Soul said...

That was a really fun read!
I loved it!
The gift is sure to make her smile!!!

Taylor must be SO proud!

FUN PICTURES!!!!

You sound like the coolest librarian that school ever had!

Those kids are sure to remember you always!

*SHeRRy B* said...

I just happened across your work on ETSY. I am totally enthralled. The Frances necklace is the cutest thing ever! I was a library nerd too.hee hee.

Jen Crossley said...

Your so funny love the picture of you um its nice!!!
Jen

Becky Bunn said...

Jamie, Thanks for you comment regarding the mica. I was wondering if you could solder it. Please email me I have have a few questions.Love the Frances necklace. When my daughter was little she liked the books

Jennifer P. said...

I LOVE the Frances books too! Bedtime for Frances was the best (whack and smack :)!). I'm sure Frances will treasure her necklace forever and ever!

Sadly, I thought YOU of all people would understand the circus peanuts thing :). They smell like bubblegum and bananas---not nail polish remover. Ah well. Maybe something in me is just 'broken' :).

Tumble Fish Studio said...

I've been following and recommending your blog and showing others your beautiful work for several months. Totally amazing and just magic, you are. I was a fan of yours anyway, but now that I know we share the juxtaposing bond of "artist trying to be a librarian" (I just quit after 10 years in a elementary school library) - well, what a coininkydink! (how's that for nerdy?) Anyway, another extraordinary piece truly appreciated. Thank you for sharing!
Marsha

susan m hinckley said...

My daughter's name is Hannah Francis and when she heard it, my mother-in-law asked why we spelled it with the male spelling (I hadn't ever considered that there was a gender spelling difference) and I had to explain that Hannah Francis was my great grandmother, although I'm not sure my mother-in-law ever really accepted that answer (just a vibe I get). Anyway, my daughter has always been happy that she is an "i" Francis because she says it makes her feel like a Spanish conquistador in a girl body.

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh - what a hilarious post! Thanks for visitng my vintage Mary garden statue for blue Monday. I have a serious love affair with children's books. If you read back through my blog you'll find several posts about them! My girls are now 19 and 22 but oh, the memories of reading to them when they were little!!!...Donna

Victorian Lady said...

What a sweet, sweet present! :) I bet if she doesn't know Frances books yet, she will soon, and what a wonderful introduction! :)

I sent you that picture of my Great Aunts I was talking about through etsy. :)

To answer your question about ebay, the fees are a lot higher, but I can't resist the fun of watching it get bid on. I usually have a painting on for more than a week before it sells. If it doesn't than I put it on etsy. I like having a little bit of everything everywhere. :)

pamelahuntington said...

Hi Jen,
LOve the Francis necklace...we read
"Bread and Jam for Francis" until
the words were faded from the pages!
Very cool piece!
pamela

Rebecca Ramsey said...

I love this post!
And I would have loved having you as a librarian. It sounds like you did a FABULOUS job at the most important role a librarian has--giving kids a passion for stories!

Your necklace is such a treasure. I'm sure she'll save it forever!

Amber Dawn Inventive Soul said...

~*Jamie!~*
HAVE A SPECTACULAR DAY!!!

I did get the diaries a couple of weeks ago and will be shipping them to you next week!

Your page came out nice. I hope you like your page as much as I do!

Brenda said...

Jamie, don't be upset, but I have tagged you! I just think you have the best energy and personality, so I wanted to know some quirky things about you! So here, is the post from my blog!

I have been tagged by Jeanette Janson , a wonderful Mixed Media Artist. I adore her work. Her assemblages are just beautiful. She melds the soft with the hard in such a wonderful way. So I say a big thank you to Jeanette, and now here are the rules for the tagging:

Link to the person who tagged you.
Mention the rules.
Tell six quirky yet boring, unspectacular details about yourself.
Tag six other bloggers by linking to them.
Go to each person’s blog and leave a comment that lets them know they have been tagged.

Man, this a hard one! I really should have my husband or daughter help me with my list of quirks! Geez, where to start, I am such a strange creature!

1. The faucet on the kitchen sink must always be on the right side of the sink.
2. I love to sing Delilah by Tom Jones at the top of my lungs, and off-key of course!
3. I dyed my hair orange once, and my daughter's purple, and NOT on purpose.
4. I scare super easy. In fact the other night my husband scared me so bad I flipped over in my chair.
5. I am a Neat Freak.
6. My husband can wiggle his ears - I figured this counts since he is mine, sort of!

Okay, and now for who's it - I decided to pick people that I want to know quirky things about - tag, your it, your turn now:

1. Deb Taylor
2. Jamie Noel
3. Linda Manning Findley
4. Dear Kate
5. Elizabeth Golden
6. La Donna Welter

Have fun checking out these awesome people who do some awesome work!

La Donna Welter said...

What a wonderful way to meet you!!!! I thought I was the only blonde with glasses, and my own library card!!!! : )
P. S. I better share that I meet you through Brenda...need I say more!?!

Amy Kate said...

After trying to get my 4 year old to love the Frances books as much as I did as a kid, she finally showed interest...after catching the show at the neighbor's house! (It's on PBS Sprout). Sigh and shame. Oh well, she's into the books now, and my mother has come across some of my old ones with my name printed in them and covers falling off. I love it!
The necklace is beyond wonderful, I can't wait to check out your other stuff!

Unknown said...

Hi! I know you from flickr and have been admiring your necklace charms. frances is sooo lucky to get a personalized one from you. I love your 'nerd' story and had a chuckle at the 'picture of you' in fishnets:)

Sandy

Anonymous said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVED Bread and Jam for Frances!! I am a first timer to your blog, but have loved your creations for sometime. Keep up the bea-U-tious work!