Monday, November 17, 2008

I Love the City, Part 1

My husband had a presentation on some waste water sludge pump filter...the largest one in the world...or the United States, maybe it was California...it lifts cakes of dried waste, or maybe it drops them? I know the cake part is correct. I definately remember hearing the word 'cake' and getting very excited until I learned it was a cake of dried waste, which I really don't think should be named after a baked good of any kind. That's just wrong. It's wrong and cruel and decietful and disturbing on so many levels. Oh, I just remembered another phrase about his project: screw conveyor. So if that means anything to any of you, there it is. The largest one in our county, at least. Anyway, as I am sure you have all percieved it really is the most fascinating stuff, the life of an engineer who works in waste water treatment. Well, I'm just as proud as can be about his screw conveyor cake lifter... or dropper. (remember, not 'cake' as in delicous baked treat. Cake as in 'are you seriously telling me that this cake you've been rattling on about for the last 20 minutes is a lump of dried poop and not a treat you picked up for me on your way home tonight from an upscale bakery which comes in one of those adorable 'old school' pink bakery boxes tied with white string and cleverly kept hidden in your car to pull out and surpise me at this very moment?! Are you serious? You do know I'm PMSing don't you? I know you didn't just talk for 20 min. to a PMSing woman about a 'cake' that is- What? What's that? We're going to Chicago?! Honey, you're the best! ) That kind of cake.

So here it is...our lovely trip to Chicago.





My daughter's loved when we walked around with the Chicago tour books in plain sight so much that they had to document it on film. (Yes, this is posed, I was not that bad!!!) They would rather wander for hours and be lost than suffer the shame and humiliation of (gasp) looking at a guide book made for just this purpose. I don't know what I was thinking. (Maybe about cake.)


Drinking Chocolate Peanut Butter milkshakes that came with a fortune cookie on top. How adorable and witty is that?!


Yes, my children have marketable skills for the future.

Spending half of my life savings getting my niece a gift at "American Girl Place."

Laur (who didn't pay) found it quite enchanting.


Stepford Dolls!!!


Attending the Midnight showing of High School Musical 3.
Drinking oreo milkshakes at Potbelly Deli. They came with tiny cookies on the straw. How adorable and witty is that?!



Visiting University of Chicago. There's the beloved tour books again!

Taylor getting some free counseling from Bob Newhart.

Giving Bob a piece of my mind after he blamed all Tay's issues on me. (It's always the mother...)

We found some local children to frolic in the park with.



Until one little boy started crying...

And Taylor mocked him.
Back to Bob's counseling couch for her.


Well, trust me, there was much more, but I must get back 'in studio' and solder like the wind. (Ooh, a wind reference in a post all about the 'windy city'! Sometimes I even surprise myself with my clever wit.)

14 comments:

said...

I love your Etsy store, and now I love your blog! You are definitely on my "Run, Scamper, Get to these Sites!" blogroll!

I especially love the frolicking pic - you look so happy to have found some friends...:)

Giveaway??? Did I see...Giveawaaaaaaayyy!!!!!!!
Lulu

Amber Dawn Inventive Soul said...

Oh man!
We had flooding here this year too.
NO fun and the smell, for me, was the worst part!

Glad you had FUN!
I LOVE the pictures!
Did you get the diaries today?

OK Noah, write me back and let me know!
*Smile*
Amber

Jennifer P. said...

SOOOOOO glad the flood didn't do more damage than that! And you looked like you were having way more fun than any normal human being should have in those vacation pictures ;)! Hope you got lots of inspiration from your travels. I'm sensing a Stepford Dolls necklace, or maybe a Bob Newhart one---ha ha ha!

Brenda said...

You poor thing! Been there, done that on the flooding! Hope all is well now. Glad your back to the blogging, miss your humor! And your work too!

Brenda said...

Your pictures just make me giggle! Thanks for being such a hoot!

lklight said...

I just loved reading your response to my Etsy comment this AM, I spewed coffee everywhere laughing!
Thank you for that, it's good to laugh first thing in the morning!
I guess I can now be considered an official stalker...(I know, I know, no need to gush!)
I sent your Etsy shop to everyone I know & a friend sent me this link to your blog...so here I am...
It is fun to look into the soul of a fellow-twisted-art-maker, so I'm glad that I found you here!

lklight said...

So mutual stalker it is! No, you didn't scare me off, sick minds think alike I suppose!
As for what is wrong with me, wanna list?!

Speaking of sick & twisted, you remind me so much of my friend Pat Chapman, her work is like yours only on a much larger scale...
her website is www.thepatstudio.com.
Her site is a bit tricky to navigate, but it's worth it to poke around there.

Journal Swag said...

Hi Jamie! Long time no talk to! Hope your Holiday was nice. What a coincidence, we are planning a trip to Chicago in March. If you have any "must sees" let me know. Yes, your kids were obviously mighty embarrassed, but seriously, as parents we have so few joys in life, (especially once they flee the nest). Once they are adults, they are much more fun to embarrass. Just wanted to give you something to look forward to.

Hugs,
Sheila

JENN in Beautiful Bucks County PA said...

Your family is just way too cool! Cakes - ew - disgusting you are so right... what an insult to use the word cake! The "spoon hanger trick" - that was the seal the deal for me. My daughter is one who also dons a spoon now & then & has since when she was a young-one. But your honey is in the right business - WASTE - what to do with all the worlds' waste? It's the big chat & problem solve of the future. Love your creations & love your blog. I'll keep checking in. The detail of your designs are just remarkable - keep them coming and I I'll keep look forward. Happy 2009! Jenn

Unknown said...

omg i want that milkshake RIGHT NOW! ...going to check out your store now :0)

Victorian Lady said...

I miss my circus loving friend! How have you been? :)

Mere

Couture Carrie said...

So fun! Love your tipped blazer - funny pic too!

Thanks for stopping by, fellow GG lover!

xoxox,
CC

Journal Swag said...

JAMIE, where ARE you????????????

Sheila

ginny said...

I really enjoyed visiting Chicago with you and your family. You are my kind of goofs, I mean people.